1 post per page

Sunday, March 24, 2019

Tiger Expo


Tiger Expo                  
                                    18th May 2013                                              
Having arrived at the National park the previous evening and arranged a Jeep safari at 6.00 a.m the next morning, I go to bed early. At 5.15 am sharp I get up, arm myself with the Photography gadgets and sit on the steps in front of the forest lodge, eagerly waiting for the jeep and naturalist. Excitement is rising by the minute thinking about the impending meeting with the King of the Indian Forests- the Tiger. After   what seems an eternity, the Naturalist arrives in the ‘Jeep’ a Mitsubishi Canter mini bus at 7.00 am. The seats are  almost entirely occupied by half a dozen foreigners, a family of 5, doting over their 3 month baby. The grandmother is even carrying  a hamper full of baby care materials, two other families, with a toddler and a couple of 5 year olds. My heart sinks the moment I see my co-passengers.




Without as much as an apology from Naturalist Vijay, the bone cracking ride begins.Just not my day I suppose. Even as I am thinking, the canter comes to a halt at the park entrance gate.  Vijay jumps out to finish the registration of Passengers. I can hear the officials squabbling. Hawkers are swarming  around the vehicle. one enterprising chap manages to sell a Cap worth Rs. 80/- to a beaming Foreigner for Rs. 400/-. After 30 minutes, the canter rattles on.The sun is already burning hot.  Chatting with a  co passenger I find that family with  the 5 year old is responsible for the delay because they couldn’t get ready in the morning, and they don’t seem to be regretting it. Munching  goodies and throwing away the wrappers carelessly  out of the van, they are at their  boisterous best.
  Vijay delivers the cursory introduction, explaining  the  park’s features  and gives instructions on how to react when a tiger is sighted, not bothering about  the din. Trying to make up time, the rattletrap moves  along at breakneck speed.passing  many other safari vehicles.
Even after roaming in the forest  for 45 minutes, there is no luck. By now I am livid and give a piece of my mind  to the Naturalist.  He responds with” Arre aap to late nikhle, main kya karoon “? I am stunned. Do I have to suffer because of delay caused by someone else? I will never understand this.
Finally, the canter stops near a water hole. We decide to wait. Immediately other canters and jeeps converge from all directions .Aunties begin to babble and wave to one another from different vehicles, exchanging their stories of the Jungle Safari. There is total Chaos! Bedlam!
 The restless Co- passengers start giving the Naturalist various suggestions & ‘expert’ opinions, and we are running all over the magnificent forest like blind mice.
Luck is still eluding us. We move into a grassy patch. Vijay suddenly instructs the Driver to stop. Anticipation & Tension is building up. Silently, the naturalist points to a bush.  Expensive cameras with oversized lenses begin to take position .



 Everyone is jumping up and down.A few are trying to get out of the canter. Kids and women are screaming.The young brat, suddenly pulls out a toy pistol making a loud noise.The adults are worse than the kids.There is complete pandemonium. Seeing the excitement in our vehicle, other vehicles surround the bush.
Yippiee! There is a tiger.It  is intently watching its prey, a young sambhar deer.But, the cacophony in the vehicles alerts the deer and it bounds away, leaving the  tiger hungry.
 The Jungle Safari which I expected to be a quiet and serene experience has turned out to be a nightmare. I wonder how Tigers & other denizens of the forests cope with the continuous intimidation  and Transgression.



Consoling myself that I was able to see the graceful animal in spite of terrible co-passengers. Dazed, I get off the Safari Vehicle.
Sitting in the comfort of the Jungle lodge I start thinking;  enjoying ecologically sensitive regions without causing damage is the duty of every nature lover & wildlife  enthusiast This  generation is fortunate to admire and enjoy nature and carries the sacred responsibility of  preserving  the same for future generations .They have a right  to inherit the benevolence of Mother Earth.
Can the concerned authorities  prevent the nuisance and  ensure that  Jungle safaris are not reduced to a  crass wildlife pageantry?
Note:  I have refrained from naming the Concerned  National park because the  story is much the same in every National Park.

No comments:

: emotional conviction , the Impact of spiritual force

  I had heard several stories about the Popular Mahashivaratri Padayatra to Dharmasthala. Piligrims from all walks of life embark on this ...